Thursday, April 5, 2007

I choose the civil commitment centers as a topic, because after watching a video aired on CNN about these civil commitment centers, it really caught my attention. While watching the video it provided on the issue, my mind first went back to one thing and that was all the money going into these programs. I have many friends and family in the state of California where it was said that these centers take place in the most, and I know that California could use that money for a lot of other things, their education being one of them. I hear many complaints about how poor the educational system is there, whether it be about the quality of the teachers or the quantity. Many of people I’ve known from California have graduated with their math levels not exceeding that of basic algebra one, where here that math was covered if not in the 8th grade, then by freshman year. The ideas and possibilities of using the money on other foundations was a major concern which stood out to me.
My second thoughts were the aspect of what jails are made for, it is to keep to those harmful from society away from its normal day citizens and these sex offenders are still harmful so they should remain in jail. There is absolutely no reliability on a psychological evaluation, whether a person is eligible to be in such a place or not. Not only is this program giving luxury to criminals, but also using millions of dollars for something as unnecessary as this. When important institutional programs including schools are failing, then there is a problem. It is an issue I think many people are not aware of. The video itself had some impressive information , so I decided that I wanted to share it, as well as my thoughts and information on other places where the money could go instead, like California’s public schools educational foundations.

2 comments:

Karst said...

This is a very intersting issue. What adds to this is that the state of california is already "overcrowding" their prisons and needs more money to build more prisons, yet they have enough to make civil commitment centers that pamper criminals.

If the courts feel they are still criminals after their sentence, then I would say they need a harsher sentence, because the first one didnt work!

GREAT TOPIC!

Julie P.Q. said...

Hila,

What about providing a link to that video? What exactly did you see on it? Remember--the details!