Thursday, April 12, 2007

Having done some further research on the civil commitment centers, I came across something interesting, which pointed out a factor I had not yet considered.

In regards of individuals being determined in need of psychiatric help being sent to these centers, the United States Supreme Court has termed involuntary civil commitment to a psychiatric hospital "a massive curtailment of liberty." How might this happen? When persons are determined to stay at these facilities it is not a court sentence, they are not paying for any crime, they are instead being held in a place where help is being forced upon them.

I see quite a few things wrong with this scenario besides the legal aspects of their rights being taken away, and them being held against their own will. When these individuals are sought as sick in a mental way, why is it more important for them to be helped then say a drug addict down the street, should rehab be enforced on drug addicts too? No it should not for two reasons, one it is a individuals problem and it should be their choice to deal with it as they please, unless harm is being down the government has not place to place these individuals here. And the second one is that they don’t ask to be helped. Why does this matter? I am a strong believer that one can not be helped unless they want to be helped; when they don’t desire it they will not make an effort to change. The program therefore may be ineffective in curing anything for the individual.

“Position Statement on Involuntary Commitment.” Bazelon. April 2000. 12 April 2007. http://www.bazelon.org/issues/commitment/positionstatement.html

4 comments:

bettybooplvr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bettybooplvr said...

I see where you are coming from in placing these people in institutions against their will. But what if they are too sick to realize that they need help and run the risk of endangering themselves or other people. Think of serial killers and cycopathes. They are crazy but even they dont belive that they're crazy for killing dozens of people. Your right about not being able to help people that dont want to help themselves, but what programs are available for people who need help but dont know they do or how to get it? Be careful about proofreading your writing. I only found one typo though so good job.

jessie said...

I have to say I disagree with you on this matter. There are people out in the world that are a danger to others or to themselves (I guess your other commentor pretty much sums it up), people who don't realize how they are hurting themselves or their loved ones. Although forced commitment may not be effective in all cases, I doubt it'd be legal if there weren't some type of beneficial changes going on with the patients.

Julie P.Q. said...

Hila,
This is an interesting start! I wonder if you could give us a specific example of a typical person (or the crime or sickness) associated with them and them being sent to a CCC. Then it would be much easier to visualize why they're there, and we could then make some judgment as to whether they're in more serious need than somebody else.

But I wonder, too: sometimes the drug addicts are more than just that...there might be other issues involved, and quite possibly they all need true psychiatric assistance.